Cunnamulla is located on the crossroads of two major highways in Australia, the Mitchell Highway (Adventure Way) and the Matilda Highway and is easily accessible from all main destinations of Australia.
This makes self driving a great way to explore Outback Queensland and make your way to Cunnamulla from any point of Australia without backtracking.
Self driving can be lots of fun providing the opportunity to stop and explore along the way both on and off the beaten track connecting you to the landscape.
Always make sure your vehicle is suitable and mechanically sound for the journey and never take risks that endanger yourself or others.
When travelling to rural and remote locations like Outback Queensland make sure you tell family or friends about your travel plans including estimated times and keep in touch with them every couple of days.
Mobile phone reception can be limited in rural and remote areas of Outback Queensland so if anything goes wrong never leave your vehicle.
By staying with your vehicle you massively increase your chance of being found and your ultimate survival. Think about it if a search is sent it will most likely start by air and a vehicle will be seen way before a person.
Before departing on your journey you should always get up to date traffic and road information. If travelling in Outback Queensland we recommend you access www.131940.qld.gov.au which should provide accurate information for your journey and safety. This is particularly important if there is rain and or flooding and if that is the case you should get an update before departing every town.
Like most things the better the planning the better the result and that is definitely the case when driving in the outback Queensland.
Distance from Self Drive to Cunnamulla
- Central Coast – 1056km via the Pacific Highway / Mitchell Highway
- Gold Coast – 860km via M2 / Warrego Highway and Adventure Way (Mitchell Highway)
- Sunshine Coast – 890km via the Bruce Highway / Warrego Highway / Adventure Way (Mitchell Highway)
- Toowoomba – 680.4 km via Adventure Way (Mitchell Highway)
- Dubbo – 625km via the Mitchell Highway
Regional Outback Centres (NSW and Queensland) Self Drive to Cunnamulla
- Augathella – 280km via the Mitchell Highway
- Barcaldine – 606km via the Mitchell Highway / National Highway A2
- Barringun –
- Bedourie –
- Betoota –
- Birdsville – 1034km via the Diamantina Developmental Road / Birdsville Developmental Road
- Blackall – 500km via the Mitchell Highway / National Highway A2
- Bourke – 257km via the Mitchell Highway
- Charleville – 198km via the Warrego Highway / Mitchell Highway
- Cobar – 417km via Kidman Way / B87 / Mitchell Highway
- Dalby – 595km via Adventure Way (Mitchell Highway)
- Dubbo – 625km via the Mitchell Highway / A32
- Eromanga –
- Eulo –
- Goondiwindi – 496km via the Balonne Highway / Cunningham Highway
- Hungerford –
- Innamincka –
- Longreach – 712km via the National Highway A2 / Mitchell Highway
- Miles – 605km via the National Highway A2 / Warrego Highway
- Mt Isa –
- Nyngan – 460k via the Mitchell Highway
- Quilpie – 409km via the Diamantina Developmental Road / Mitchell Highway
- Roma – 466km via the Mitchell Highway / A71/ National Highway A2
- St George – 293km via the Balonne Highway / Mitchell Highway
- Thargomindah – 196km via Adventure Way / Bulloo Developmental Road
- Windorah –
- Winton –